October temperatures are fresh, crisp, and invigorating in the Midwest, USA. This is a perfect time to go motorcycle camping. This fall time of year also brings an abundance of apples. They are light and easy to carry; making them a perfect, healthy, camping snack. Simply core the apple and fill it with your favorite granola or trail mix. Wrap this filled apple in heavy foil and grill on the campfire to enjoy a gourmet dessert while camping.
Further enhance you dessert buy preparing the apples ahead of time. Slice the apples and add brown sugar, spices, nuts, caramels or any other preferred toppings. Wrap them in the foil for immediate use, or for later. You can even choose to keep the apple peel on, or off.
According to Brandie @ The Country Cook these are the Ingredients needed for one apple.
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries or raisins, optional
- 1 tbsp chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat grill (to medium heat). Cut a 12 x 18-inch sheet of nonstick foil.
- Place apple slices on foil along with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and dried cranberries.
- Wrap packet securely with double-fold seals, allowing for a bit of room for heat expansion.
- Place packet on grill; cover and cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Be careful when removing from the grill it will be very hot! Also, use caution when opening packets because there will be hot steam as you open them.
- Serve right in the foil packets. There will be juices on the bottom of the packet so gently stir the apples before taking a bite.