Hobo Cheeseburger Packets are filling with some healthy vegetables and WITHOUT a bun. They are made with potatoes, carrots and a homemade cheeseburger! These simple foil packets are easy dinner idea with minimal cleanup. They can be cooked on the campfire, grill, or in the oven; per Gimme Some Grilling recipe.
GROCERY LIST FOR HOBO PACKETS
1 lb ground hamburger 80% lean
1 egg beaten
1 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 small potatoes peeled and sliced
1 lb baby carrots
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 slices cheese
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine the hamburger, egg, seasoning salt and garlic powder.
- Form into four patties, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients except cheese slices. Mix until combined.
- Spray four 12” x18” pieces of foil with nonstick spray.
- Place 1/4 of the vegetables in the center of the foil.
- Top with 1 beef patty.
- Seal packets
- Place beef side up on the grill
- Grill for 35-45 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender and the ground beef reaches 160 degrees F. I flipped mine over during the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- When the packets are done open the top, hamburger patty facing up, and add a piece of cheese.
- Close grill cover and grill 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Tip – purchase heavy duty aluminum foil when you’re using it on the grill or campfire or double it up so there are two layers. This will keep the bottom from getting burnt!
These can also be made in the oven. Simple preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the foil packets, beef side up on a large baking sheet and bake 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the ground beef reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.